I love biscuits. My mom used to make biscuits like these, free form and oversized, for breakfast and we'd slather them with butter and honey.
There are for sure things that I just have to accept are going to be "different" in vegan form.
Ice cream. Angel Food Cake.
Different meaning not as good. And I'm ok with that.
Because honestly, anything you can make, I can make vegan. And it's almost always just as good or better. (If that hasn't been true for you, let me give you some better recipes!)
And the great news is, I don't have to skimp on biscuits!
I saw this recipe last week and started craving them. So Saturday morning, I made them with all 5 ingredients, and they were AMAZING.
While they were cooling I cut up some fresh strawberries from the farmer's market and cooked them into a little saucy-jam.
So really, I had strawberry shortcake for breakfast.
To be honest, these would be great with soup or throw some sage or rosemary in there and you'd have a lovely savory biscuit. These biscuits are for anytime!
If you love biscuits, try them. If you don't love biscuits, I don't know if we can be friends.
3 cups all-purpose flour
1 tablespoons baking powder
1/2 tablespoon salt
1/4 cup canola oil
1 cup rice milk (I used about 3/4 C almond milk and filled the rest with water)
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Line a sheet tray with parchment and set aside. I cooked mine in a glass dish smeared with a little Earth Balance.
3. Mix flour, baking powder and salt. In a separate bowl, mix oil, and rice milk until just combined. Pour the wet ingredients into the dry, and combine with hands. Do not overmix.
4. Form biscuits and place on lined sheet tray. I made 10 biscuits.
5. Cook for 20-30 minutes depending on size. Biscuits should have a light, golden brown color.
Recipe adapted from VegNews.